Open SURPAS leadership positions and SURPAS Dec Council meeting (16th, 11:30 am – 1 pm)
December 11, 2021
Let’s wrap up this year by exploring new avenues! Sign up to serve on the leadership position or become a council member!
- Open Leadership positions – nominate yourself now!!
- SURPAS Council Meeting, December 16th, 11:30 am – 1 pm
- Open Leadership positions at SURPAS
We would like to invite you to apply for our open leadership positions. We are seeking nominations for co-chair and community engagement liaison but don’t hesitate to reach out if you are interested in any other leadership positions.
Joining the SURPAS leadership team is a wonderful opportunity not only to hone leadership and communication skills but also to learn more about the academic system. See below the description for each position.
- Co-Chair Use this form to nominate yourself!
As Co-Chair of SURPAS, you and your Co-Chair counterpart are responsible for representing all postdocs at SURPAS meetings, meetings on a regular basis with the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, Faculty Senate, Vice Provost for Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs etc. You also organize and lead the council meetings. To accomplish this, you work closely with the SURPAS leadership team and council, and it’s your job to ensure that operations run smoothly.
Useful skills: Communication, organization, positive leader.
Time commitment: 3-5h/week.
Testimonial from a past leader in that position: “What did I gain by being in this position? Developed an incredible network (scientific and administrative), gained valuable institutional knowledge about Stanford (decisions, finances, mission, future), other opportunities for other leadership roles (search committees, advisory committees, retreats, etc.), demonstrable experience managing teams.”
- Community Engagement Liaison Use this form to nominate yourself!
The Community Engagement Liaison helps make the resources of SURPAS available to all Stanford Postdocs. The Liaison works with Postdocs interested in working with SURPAS as a sponsor or mentor to help them meet all applicable rules and regulations. The Community Engagement Liaison stays informed with Stanford policies, serves as the official SURPAS representative to the OSE and ASSU, oversees SURPAS committees, and works with the Event Coordinator to optimize logistics for SURPAS sponsored events.
Useful skills: effective personal communication, coordination between groups, empathy.
Time commitment: 1-2 h/week
Testimonial from a past leader in that position: “What did I gain by being in this position? A greater understanding of how different parts of the University fit together. Meeting many people from across our community. Experience working with a committed team in representing community aspirations.”
Nomination form link
- SURPAS Council Meeting
We would like to invite you to this month’s SURPAS Council Meeting on Thursday Dec 16th at 11:30am. Please join us to learn about our open leadership positions and updates on upcoming events, and to enjoy a free lunch. We hope to see you there!
What: SURPAS Council Meeting
When: Thursday, December 16th, 2021 – 11:30am-1:00pm
Where: Zoom https://stanford.zoom.us/j/97078454300?pwd=VWlnWWxUMGtEejVpZXo0SSsvQ1k2dz09
- Buy your lunch (either in person, online, take out, groceries, Door Dash etc…), KEEP YOUR ITEMIZEDRECEIPT!
- Attend council meeting via zoom for at least 45 minutes (half) of the meeting
- Take a picture of your receipt and submit for reimbursement on GrantEd. (Watch this 10-min training: Submitting Documentation and Initiating a Reimbursement in GrantEd – STARS Code: SSE-1001).
- Make sure you have a receipt with itemized items and not only a credit card statement or email confirmation. The later ones will be rejected.
- Write a descriptive line in GrantEd. Ex: Reimbursement for SURPAS XXXX council meeting lunch on XX/XX/2021. Please note if it is over $15 to write “Partial reimbursement…”
- The date of the receipt has to match the council meeting date.
- It does not matter if the receipt is for over $15. If so, we will partially reimburse up to $15.
- You will receive your reimbursement as a direct deposit in your bank account within a week or 2. No banking information needed as GrantEd is linked with your SUNet ID.
- Please do make sure to follow up on your reimbursements if they don’t go through so we can resolve them ASAP.
Reach out to Peng Gao (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you need more guidance for the reimbursement.