May 26, 2021
SURPAS Council Meeting Agenda
Wednesday, May 26th , 2021 11:30am-1:00pm
- Acknowledgment statement, inc group norms/mutual respect (2’)
- Welcome, Zoom etiquette (2’)
- Introductions and approval of minutes (5’)
Seconded by Arianna
SHARE training on sexual harassment. More examples would be useful. Not enough break out rooms and discussion. Could potentially be included into the leadership retreat maybe? And hopefully be repeated annually.
Reminder of the resources available at stanford including how to report sexual assault, discrimination, difficult and toxic lab environment, ombuds, Faculty staff help center, Advising dean David Schneider, Financial assistance and career assistance with BioSci Careers.
- Council Member elections (15’)
- Bradley Tolar – 12 yes, 1 abstain
- Gina Bouchard – 10 yes, 2 abstain
- Julia Mimi Abitol – 12 yes, 2 abstain
- Eamon Byrne – 13 yes, 2 abstain
- Jason Guo (email@example.com and NOT firstname.lastname@example.org) – 12 yes, Very interested in promoting professional development and mental health for postdocs. –
- Announcements: (20’)
- Upcoming elections- Learn about the different leadership positions
Co-chair: first point of contact for postdocs, organizing meetings, incredible experience, meeting with Stanford leadership, very acceptable time commitment.
Advocacy coordinator: great way to get connected with the postdoc community and the broader community as well.
Social media manager: Take care of our social media platforms.
Event coordinator: If you like people and build community, this is a wonderful opportunity. Work with sports team, the coffee socials, etc.
Communications director: work closely with social media coordinator and make sure event announcements go out on time. Time flexible position.
Operations Manager: Note taking, link between the leadership team and council members, connect volunteers with opportunities.
Community engagement liaison: Connecting people together, making sure to make resources available to everybody, and keeping up with committees. Link between committees and leadership team.
Financial Officer: Approve transactions, manage the budget. Small time commitment. Great way to be involved. Keeping track of spendings. Everything is on the computing system.
- Upcoming Events (5’)
- June meeting- Elections
- July meeting- Sarah H. (PACPA Chair)
People should show up! PACPA are the ones who recommend policies for postdocs.
- Better Ally series: June 3rd – 12 pm
- Faculty Staff Health Center guest speaker in August.